No injuries, two dogs rescued but house total loss in morning fire


Video Sponsor

YouTube video

Fire investigators believe, preliminarily, that a malfunction in a furnace at 8920 Batavia Stafford Townline Road is the source of a fire that destroyed the home this morning.

The structure was fully involved before firefighters were dispatched shortly before 8:40 a.m.

“(The furnace is)¬†propane-powered and forced hot air,” said Tim Yaeger, Genesee County Emergency Management Coordinator. “(The homeowner)¬†had left to go and give assignments to her crews for the business that they run here. When they came back, she said she smelled something funny, something hot, and one of her employees saw smoke exiting from the garage. They entered the garage, opened the door into the house and there was heavy black smoke in the house itself. So right now we’re leaning towards, based on an investigation,¬†preliminarily, we’re looking at the furnace that may have had a malfunction.”

Nobody was injured as a result of the fire and an employee reportedly rescued two dogs from inside the house.

The initial dispatch for the fire reported that two people had entered the house and maybe trapped but when a Stafford assistant chief was first on scene, he informed dispatchers that both people were out of the house and that it was believed nobody was in the house at that point.

Town of Batavia Chief Chris Strathearn said the heavy, tall column of black smoke from the fire was visible well before he arrived on scene. He called for a second alarm.

Companies dispatched included Town of Batavia, City Fire, Stafford, Le Roy, and Alexander’s FAST Team. Mercy EMS, Sheriff’s Office, and State Police assisted at the scene.



Source link